Monday, January 4, 2010

Workboxes for the Mature Homeschoolers!

Well, after looking for a science notebook for 4 days, I know this is really going to help us in 2010. What am I talking about? Sue Patrick's Workbox System which is about the most talked about thing in home education right now. However, I was led to think this was for only those with really young children or those with special needs. After reading the e-book, I think it might be just what we need to tidy up our home education.

My reasons are:
*ability to work independently for substantial periods
*reduction of talking and distractions during school time
*my abiltiy to "see" what is accomplished each day
*the chance to use some of the great extras I have bought over the years but never been able to incorporate

So, here is where we started.


As you can see, each child has a desk and everything is just put in a drawer. Notebooks are kept in plastic totes that make bookcases. Problem - we are constantly looking for something and the notebooks fall out on the floor. Also, pages are not put up and we end up with lots of floating papers.

I began by buying a 7 drawer rolling cart for each child and a three drawer container to place on top. I also put a "reading basket" on each child's tower. It's not exactly like Sue's suggestion but I didn't have the room for the other design. Then I got together all my supplies.


That took some time but I found some circle designs I liked and got them together on the boxes. Next, I loaded each with material for the day. I also included a reading card and lunch card on their strips so they have a total of 12 items. An early picture of the workbox.



Then, a picture of things coming together.


Now the room is coming together and ready for some serious learning.

I even had a use for the tote bookcases we had left over!!

So, I can't wait until tomorrow to get it going with the workboxes and teach them how to use them.

Plus, each child gets three "Help" cards they can use throughout the day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment